
A landmark of Zablaće is the parish church of St. John the Baptist, and the history of the village dates back—at least in written records—to 1432, when the people of Šibenik operated salt pans there during the Middle Ages. In fact, these two lakes are responsible for the development of the village, as fresh water mixes within them with salt water flowing in from the sea through canals. This history written in salt ended back in the 17th century, and can now only be read in the names of the lakes: Male and Velike Soline, also known as Malo and Veliko Blato.

The lakes once served as fish ponds, but today they are a tourist oasis, a paradise for recreational enthusiasts, day-trippers, and walkers, as well as a home to a large number of birds. The nickname "Little America" originated because many residents of Zablaće emigrated across the world over the generations, mostly to America and Australia, so when they return to their hometown in the summer, hearing English on the streets is quite common.